Thursday, August 8, 2013

Made & Found


Made & Found is one of our new additions, as you may have surmised. I have an inkling that most of our M&F posts will be dedicated to finding and making things with feathers, shells (sea and snail), rocks, snake sheds, and bits of flora. It's just how we do. There's a distinct possibility that we're descended from either a bunch of Prussian naturalists or a coven of German witches.

But M&F is also about finding things beyond the underbrush and seashore...you know, non-nature-y things. So, I thought once in a while I'd talk a little about some of the items I've picked up at estate sales, antique malls, and thrift stores (our friend, Em, of Thimble calls them op shops, which I love!)...

Mom and I visited this gargantuan antique mall in Fife, WA. It's seriously huge and reasonably-priced, and it received a mention in this month's issue of Sunset magazine. After walking around for an hour, we happened to pass by the jewelry case and I started browsing the earrings. I hit the cheap, cute stud jackpot, finding little brass moons, horseshoes, and rose enamel posts. The most expensive one was $2.23! After murmuring a very soft Stefon course of yesyesyesyesyesyesyes, I grabbed them all. 

If you love my little crescent moon earrings, but can't wait around forever to find them at an antique store, Upper Metal Class has these lovely moon earrings for $40.00 on Etsy. 

Image via Upper Metal Class

I owed Catherine $2.00, so I just gave her these horseshoe earrings instead of money. I paid $1.99 for them--she may have gotten the better end of the deal. 


But these horseshoe earrings by EF Handmade Jewelry on Etsy are super-dainty, 14K gold filled, and only $12.00!

Image by EF Jewelry

The last earrings I found are these sweet little rose enamel numbers. They're actually plastic, but I still love them, and I'm keeping them! I mean, unless Monika comes around and we "go through my jewelry," which always ends with her walking away with earrings or something.


Petite Vanilla currently has these pink rose studs on sale for $8.50. Not too shabby, right? 


Keep your eyes peeled, and I'm sure you'll run across all kinds of treasure that you can pick up for a song. By the way, what's your all-time favorite find? 

2 comments:

  1. what great finds!!
    and haha yeah 'op shop' is short for 'opportunity shop' (although I have never heard anyone in Australia say that, it's too long :-P). Thanks for the mention :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I think 'op shop' is way better than 'thrift store.' Thrift store sounds sad-'opportunity' seems much more full of promise.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...